For presentation to first-time social media users at TTI.
- Join the Conversation
- Boost the TTI signal
- Pass along that report, website, article
- Choose the platform(s) that suit you
- Share a current event with others
- Make the world a better place
Texas A&M University System and Institution Social Media Guidance
- Social Media Tools for Official State Business: http://www.tamus.edu/marcomm/socialmedia/
- TTI Social Media Channels http://tti.tamu.edu/social/
- Using Social Media to Tell the TTI Story http://tti.tamu.edu/2013/04/01/using-social-media-to-tell-the-tti-story/
- Social Media Policies http://marcomm.tamu.edu/toolkit/social/policies.html
- Employee Use and Engagement Guidelines http://www.tamus.edu/marcomm/socialmedia/employee-guidelines/
- Note to System employees using their own personal social media sites: Make it clear that the views expressed are yours. Recognize that effective social engagement depends upon transparency. Your honesty —or dishonesty — will be quickly noticed in the social media environment, and your credibility — and that of the A&M System and or University — will be at stake. If you have a vested interest in something you are discussing, be the first to point it out. Write in the first person, and if you maintain a personal blog or website and write opinion pieces about the A&M System or its entities, use a disclaimer, such as “The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of The Texas A&M University System or its entities.”
- Aggie Code of Honor http://student-rules.tamu.edu/aggiecode
Anatomy of a Tweet
— Steven Polunsky (@StevenPolunsky) October 13, 2015
- Give information. Buses are available.
- Include a picture or image (important).
- Put a face in it (with their permission).
- Evoke with locational or seasonal cues (e.g. Rudder Tower).
- Include relevant Twitter accounts (@TxDOT).
- Include subject matter, event, affinity hashtags (should have used #ShortCourse). For further reading: The History and Power of the Hashtag – How Twitter and #Politics Mix (County.org) http://county.org/magazine/features/Pages/2015Jan/The-History-and-Power-of-the-Hashtag.aspx
— Steven Polunsky (@StevenPolunsky) October 17, 2015
- Learn the basics of How To Twitter, and take care with what you do (see Gov. Markell of Delaware tweet).
- You can automate having different avatars for work hours and non-work hours. Work hours: https://ifttt.com/recipes/43907-working-avatar Non-work hours: https://ifttt.com/recipes/43906-afterwork-avatar
- Some good examples of mixing transportation professional and personal: https://twitter.com/luriramos, https://twitter.com/diannetordillo, https://twitter.com/BernieFette, https://twitter.com/gregpgriffin, https://twitter.com/atiyyashaw
- Tips for LinkedIn posts: http://okdork.com/2014/09/09/linkedin-publishing-success/
- Most Viewed at TTI
- Be careful who you link/friend/…
- Deez Nutz story on Medium
- Tips for Medium posts: https://medium.com/help-center/writing-128f049a7ad
- How to get your first 1,000 followers on every major social network (Medium): https://medium.com/social-media-tips/how-to-get-your-first-1-000-followers-on-every-major-social-network-ffdb912ffda5
- How to write the perfect blog post (Sweetfish Media): http://www.sweetfishmedia.com/blog-post-checklist/
- 60+ Awesome, Free Tools for Modern Storytellers (Medium): https://medium.com/thoughts-on-media/60-awesome-free-tools-for-modern-storytellers-5c8664f00427
- 74 Sites with free stock photos (Canva): https://designschool.canva.com/blog/free-stock-photos/
- Deez Nutz story on Buzzfeed
- Social Media behavior is like Comedy Improv (hat tip to Jamison Day, who takes his life in his hands every time he runs this crisis simulation) Facebook – don’t believe everything you read there
More about platforms
- The Ideal Length of Everything Online (Adweek): http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/infographic-ideal-length-everything-online-tweets-youtube-videos-160972 See also https://www.spredfast.com/social-media-strategies/social-network-sizing-guide
- Promoting your writing https://medium.com/social-media-tips/how-to-promote-every-piece-of-content-you-create-in-less-than-an-hour-a-day-705873c9902f
Judgement: Use It
- How One Stupid Tweet Blew Up Justine Sacco’s Life http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html
- A Lawyer’s Guide to Avoiding Twibel (Adweek/Social TImes): http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/tweet-carefully-lawyers-guide-avoiding-twibel/206767
For more information
- Social Media 101 (Texas A&M AgriLife Extension): http://www.slideshare.net/aggie94amy/general-social-media-21265818